Thursday, March 19, 2009

Brewery #12: Big E Ales (Ellersick Brewing Co.)


This bar was awesome! It's a fairly new brewery in Lynnwood with a fun, laid-back atmosphere. They had 12 beers on tap and we sat right up front along the tiny little bar and spent most of the night talking with the brewer. Kyle ordered these delicious pork rib tips and got the last order for the week! It seemed like everyone else at this bar was a regular, which normally would be a little intimidating but everyone here was really nice and you could tell they were really into the beer.

Big E had the most interesting range of beers I've seen since we went to Rogue a couple of months ago. They had fruity beers and dark beers and wheat beers and nitros and on and on and on. They had this fun sampler with a little whiteboard along the front where you could write in the 6 beers you wanted to try. I thought the whole experience was great. Plus I picked more winners than Kyle did for the UFC fights they were showing on tv which made me even happier.

Lawnmower Lager (3)
This beer had a similar sour taste to a lot of lagers I've tried. I enjoyed the smoothness of the beer and overall thought it was pretty good.

Merry Cranberry (2.5)
This was their cranberry beer. I haven't seen cranberry beer yet on this tour so the thought of it intrigued me. It had a very sharp, fruity taste to it that reminded me of cranberry juice spiked with vodka. I didn't really like this one.

Belgian Wheat (3.5)
This one had a very strong, citrus, wheaty flavor. It was pretty thick for a wheat beer and I liked the flavor.

Blackberry (4)
Another fruity beer that I just had to try. This one was much better than the cranberry. It tasted like a sour porter with just a hint of blackberry flavor. Yum.

Copper Ale (3)
Whenever I see copper ales I immediately think of Redhook. This one didn't quite measure up in terms of flavor. It might've had to do with being sick but if I had to choose I would pick Redhook's copper over this one.

Cream Stout (2)
This beer was warmer than all the others and kind of tasted like milk. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be at this temperature but it kind of ruined the taste for me. I wasn't into this one.

I'd like to go back and try the other 6 beers they have on tap. If I buy a house in Lynnwood I have a feeling I'll join the other regulars at this place. I'd give the six beers I tried a 3 and a 5 for the atmosphere. Big E deserves the 8 score and I think I could raise the beer score if I went back when I wasn't sick and tried all the other beers.

0 comments: