Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brewery #9: Elliot Bay Brewery




Elliot Bay is located in West Seattle and it was the first time I've ever been there. The bar was pretty full when we arrived but it only took a few minutes to seat us upstairs in the loft area. The loft wasn't too big and was pretty private, which I actually enjoyed. The downstairs is long and narrow and the bar takes up the whole length of the floor. They had all kinds of beers on tap, some that weren't there own, but the sampler they had was limited to 5 of their most popular beers. It was a fun bar with a good layout and according to Kelsey, really really good food. I, unfortunately, had already eaten and didn't order anything off the menu but everyone else seemed to rave about how good their meals were.

Luna Weizen (4.5)
This is a very light, refreshing hefeweizen. I wrote "yum" in my notes which typically means good things. It had great flavor and that foggy look to it that you find in some hefs.

Pale Ale (2)
This beer was pretty hoppy for a pale ale. I actually couldn't taste the difference between it and the IPA. I definitely didn't enjoy this one.

IPA (3)
All I could taste in this one was the hops, which, if you're an IPA fan, is probably a good thing. Wasn't my favorite but I wouldn't spit it out.

No Doubt Stout (5)
This is a crisp, nutty stout. Full of flavor and delicious. To be honest, probably one of the best stouts I've tasted on this little endeavour.

Riot Ale (3)
Another hoppy IPA. This beer really likes to use their hops. It was alright but nothing to really write home about.

I give this bar a 7.5 overall. The bar was probably at a 4 and the beer was at a 3.5 The No Doubt Stout really saved the beer. I think if they changed up the beers they put in the sampler I would like the place even more. I'd say it's worth a trip to West Seattle if you're ever in the mood.

0 comments: