Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brewery #10: Scuttlebutt Brewing



Ahhh Scuttlebutt. This bar had all kinds of hype around it. Jenn's boyfriend Ian apparently visits this place regularly and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's also near my office so everyone I work with also visits this place regularly. This was my first time and oh boy was it just peachy. The actual bar looks like a cafeteria with some sailing stuff on the walls and ceiling. There were tvs on the wall so we got to watch the Husky game, which made Kyle very happy.

Even though the bar wasn't much to look at, the beer really made up for it. I think we all had a really good time even without the fancy things like pool tables and dart boards and normal restaurant lighting like you see in most bars.

I have to warn you that I was sick for this trip so every beer I tasted was mild and kind of tasted the same as the next one. I did my best to write other people's comments and tried not to judge too harshly based on my own deceiving taste buds.

Homeport Blonde (3)
Kind of a sour blond. I thought it had a good taste and I think Jenn really enjoyed it. I gave it an average score.

Gale Force IPA (3)
Good, floral aroma with a nice blend of hops. Maybe it was because I was sick but I thought it was pretty good.

Seasonal: Mia Bock (4.5)
This one was delicious! Sweet, honey flavor that almost made it taste like a cream ale. I ordered a pint of this one when I was done with the sampler.

Amber Ale (3)
Good blend of spices and caramel. Pleasant taste.

Porter (4)
Rich taste with a great coffee flavor. I also noticed a hint of chocolate and a little smokey flavor. Yum!

Hefeweizen (4)
Nice citrus blend and good flavor. Pretty tasty hef overall.

Sequoia Red (1)
Nobody liked this beer. It was too bitter and tasted like flowers. Even I could taste how bad this one was.

Nitro Tap (3)
Kind of tasted like an amber nitro. It was a little hoppy but not too bad. I thought it was an odd choice for a nitro.

The best part about this bar was the sweet growler I bought before we left (pictured at top). This is the coolest growler I've ever seen and I plan on taken it everywhere to get filled up. If you need any reason to go to this bar, go to buy the growler.

I give this one an overall rating of 8.5. A 4 for the bar and a 4.5 for the beer. I think this one lived up to its reputation.

0 comments: