Thursday, April 2, 2009

Brewery #13: Twin Rivers Brewing


Unlucky #13 certainly didn't do anything to help this brewery out. Twin Rivers is located in Monroe, Washington, a small town about a half hour Northeast of Seattle. I don't know much about the town, and I've only driven through on my way to Leavenworth or to some lake/river that's way more fun than Monroe. What I've learned from the trip is it's a small town that's trying to be a bigger town so it lacks small town charm and stinks as a big town. The brewery is a perfect example.

Unfortunately, this bar is not set up for the mid-20's, fresh out of college, brewery hopping clientele. This brewery is better suited for the 80+, senior discount, have nothing better to do with my day type. ( I apologize if that offends anyone) The brewery is somehow connected with the Sailfish Bar and Grill, a fancy seafood restaurant that also sells beer. The wine list is longer than the beer list, and to be honest, they probably would be better off just sticking with the wine. The food is really expensive and not that spectacular and the whole place gave me a bad vibe. I'd avoid this one unless you're in Monroe for some other reason and really craving expensive seafood and beer.

The beer:

Pilsner (4)
This is a clean, crisp, refreshing pilsner. It reminds me of champagne but better because it's beer.

Copper Ale (3.5)
This one has a delicious blend of malts with a warm, amber taste. Kyle thinks it tastes bitter but I think it's supposed to.

Bock (4)
A think, amber lager. I really enjoyed this one.

India Pale Ale (3)
This one smells like flowers and tastes like flowers. Typical IPA with nothing that really makes it stand out.

Abbey Ale (2)
Sour, blond ale with a hint of coriander. I hate coriander in beer, it makes it taste bad.

Porter (3)
I could really taste more coffee than chocolate in this porter. It wasn't bad, but pretty light for a porter. I'm not sure this one was done correctly.

Imperial Stout (4)
Rich and creamy stout with great flavors. I can really taste the chocolate and coffee in this one.

I'd give the beer at this place a 3.5. At best, I would order the bock online, but I don't really plan on making a trip back for the beer. The ambiance of Twin Rivers deserves a 2 for an overall score of 5.5. Probably my worst one yet. Adios Twin Rivers!

0 comments: