Thursday, April 2, 2009

Brewery #14: Pike Brewing Co.



I have to start this one with a disclaimer. I have been to Pike multiple times and I'm really not into it. The food is mediocre, the restaurant is too loud, and I really only like one of their beers. I know this brewery has a great reputation in Seattle because it's right on the waterfront and associated with Pike Place Market. Even so, there's really nothing at this brewery that I enjoy.

If you're visiting Seattle and want to do the touristy thing, it's probably a fun place to visit. There's lots of activity and they have some cool pictures on the walls, plus they have a whole lot of souvenirs. But, if you're from the Seattle area and are just looking for a good bar to hang out, relax and enjoy good beer, this really isn't it.

Pike Naughty Nellie (4)
Naughty Nellie is a golden organic. It's got a good balance of hops and a solid flavor. I haven't had a lot of organic beers but this one peeks my interest.

Pike Pale Ale (3)
Too hoppy. I thought it was just ok.

Pike IPA (3)
This one has a light, flowery smell and a hoppy, flowery taste. Goes down pretty smooth. Not bad.

Pike Kilt Lifter (4.5)
By far the most popular of Pike's beers. This is a sweet, delicious amber with a great blend of malts. This is the only one from this brewery that I would drink at another bar.

Pike Tandem (2.5)
Dark brown ale with a sweet, coriander flavor. Definitely not my favorite. It's that awful coriander taste that's ruined the beer once again.

Pike XXXXX (4)
A scotch ale with a good, chocolate taste. I wrote GOOD in caps for this one. (I should probably start taking more descriptive notes)

The beer at Pike is just average. I'd give it a 3.5 overall. The brewery, again not my favorite, will get a 3 out of me. If you want to add half a point for the tourist attraction go right ahead. Overall score of 6.5-7.0. I promise the next two get better.

0 comments: